Thursday, December 10, 2009

Guerilla Art: A Yarn Mural




My last project for my 4-D design class was to make "Guerilla Art".
In response, I decided to graffiti the fence of McNally Field, creating a yarn mural.

Initially when I envisioned it I planned on making it so big, so large, so "WOW".

But... after 5 hours of work, I had only gotten 4 lines of the fence done. I spent Wednesday night shaking in the cold, trying to wrap yarn over & over again, through the fence until 4 am.

It only got more depressing by the hour--with light, after light, after light turning off in Hope Hall as people went to bed. I finally had to stop working when my hands froze too much that I couldn't hold the yarn anymore without dropping it.

I went back during the day on Thursday and tried to finish it up before class--and literally every 5-10 minutes there was someone who would walk by and comment on it--for 3 hours straight, saying "YOU CAN DO IT!!", "What is this?", "LOOKING GREAT!", "Is this Art?".

But without further ado, the yarn mural:





Aren't the colors simply delicious?

No comments:

Post a Comment