Tuesday, March 22, 2011

three things I'm in love with

Berlin, Germany
July 2010


I took this picture on my trip to Germany this past summer, and have no idea why I've kept it hidden this long. In reality, it is the epitome of three of the major things that I am constantly drawn to both in photos I take, and paintings I do (even in things I buy!): --color, --grids,--architecture. And one other one I just now thought of was: my obsession with things that are extremely similar, but just slightly varying. I even day-dream of making a painting that is just an entire grid filled with slightly different shades of white (or any color really).

 It is refreshing to me to have this ordered, laid out structure---that sets down the foundation for everything. The excitement then for me is getting to discover the slight differences between each square--getting to explore each section within the frame, essentially. The compare and contrast section of tests always were my strong-point.

Reflecting on these things, I feel like so much of it is clearly traced to my family. Two of my brothers and my Dad are all engineers, and my grandfather and uncle are builders---so in a lot of ways... it makes sense that I think in terms of structure and order, grids and architecture. The love for color though (especially bright color), I think is all my own. 



2 comments:

  1. Christine I love this! The way the cool daylight contrasts with the warm tungsten makes the colors fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great, great picture. the orange bursts amongst the gloomy blue---WOAH.

    ReplyDelete