Thursday, January 14, 2010

In Honor of Martin Luther King day: I have a Dream


I've had this secret dream for some time now, to... paint murals.

AH! Even just writing about it just gets me excited.

This semester I realized I really like working outside the studio--where the people are: in a park, on the street-- all of it. So... how freaking rad would it be to paint, in the same place, for at least a month--on the side of the street. Think about all the conversations you could have with people! Day after day-- people asking you what you're doing, you explaining your vision and then allowing your conversation to stray off to something new and exciting.

Another thing that gets me excited about murals is the absolute enormous size of them---gah, I just love it---it's like a thirty foot tall canvas! It's art outside of the gallery, in front of the people, interacting with the people: becoming a part of their landscape and their community.

I have absolutely no clue what I would paint, if I was in fact actually ever able to make a mural--but, it's fun to dream. And dream big. Literally.

The photographs are of two murals in downtown LA-- the top one is my favorite, just gets me good.



No comments:

Post a Comment